This beautiful church with its simple building style and its impressive saddleback roof was consecrated in 1624. The church was profaned in 1785 and first used as a weapon cache, later as a coach house. Finally, in the first quarter of the 19th century, the church became a slaughterhouse.
No later than 1853, Braunau’s own town theater was accommodated in this building. In the following hundred years the theater society and different travelling companies used the building for their performances. Between 1939 and 1946 Braunau’s town theater was one of the official theaters of the region Oberdonau (later Upper Austria). However, it had to be closed due to dilapidation in the middle of the 1960ies and was then fully renovated. In 1979 Braunau’s town theater was reopened for the Great Upper Austrian Exhibition.
Today the theater is closed due to new fire regulations.
5280 Braunau am Inn
Tel. +43 7722 62733