Ranshofen is situated 4 km south of Braunau and is officially part of Braunau, although it has its own, striving village life and identity. The first time it was mentioned in the year 788 as the site of a royal palace.
Charlemagne officially turned Ranshofen into a royal palace and emperor
Arnulf, the last ruler of the Karolingers, built a royal chapel here in
898. Emperor Henry II founded the parish of Ranshofen in 1030 and built
the first parish church. The growing community of priests was the
foundation for the Augustine monastery, which was created under the
Bavarian emperor Henry IX in 1125. The royal palace was finally turned
into a monastery and a new church was built. During the War of
Succession of the “Landshuter” (1504/05) the church and monastery were
badly damaged. In the first half of the 17 century new buildings were
added and for a long time the monastery was the heart of Ranshofen.